In the always-changing world of education, educators know how important it is to stay up-to-date with the latest changes in educational policies. Ohio's Department of Education is no exception, consistently revising its guidelines to make sure students receive the best possible education.
One of the most important policies, the Third Grade Reading Guarantee, has had significant changes in recent years, with even more on the horizon for upcoming school years.
The Third Grade Reading Guarantee: An Overview
The Third Grade Reading Guarantee holds a special place in our education-loving hearts—it's a policy designed to make sure that all third-grade students can read proficiently before advancing to the fourth grade. To achieve this goal, the state of Ohio has introduced a series of legislative changes in July of 2023, with House Bill 33 of the 135th General Assembly being particularly noteworthy.
The First of Many Changes: Promotion from Third to Fourth
Starting in the 2022-2023 school year, House Bill 33 ruled that any educational institution in Ohio that would have retained students who didn’t meet the promotion score on Ohio's State Test for 3rd grade English language must now promote those students to fourth grade – unless a student's parent or guardian requests otherwise. These promoted students will continue to receive at least 90 minutes of daily reading instruction, including intensive intervention, until they can read at their grade level.
2023-2024 Guideline Updates: An Overview
- Third Grade Reading Guarantee Promotion Score
In line with state requirements, the Board of Education increases the promotion score for 3rd-grade English language arts every year. For the 2023-2024 school year, that score has been set at 690. This means that any student scoring 690 or higher on the English language arts scaled score will be eligible for promotion to fourth grade.
But there's more – a new reading subscore alternative assessment score of 48 has been introduced. Meaning that any student who scores 48 or higher on the reading subscore will be eligible for promotion to fourth grade, even if their score on Ohio's State Test for grade 3 English language arts falls below 690.
- Parent Request Exemption
Starting in this school year, a student's parent or guardian can request that a student be promoted to fourth grade, regardless of their score on Ohio's State Test for 3rd grade English language arts. However, students promoted through this exemption will still have to receive intensive reading instruction until they can read at the grade level.
- Parent Notification Requirements
Districts are now required to provide parents with specific information regarding their child's reading proficiency. That written information has to include a statement connecting the child's proficiency level in reading to the long-term success goals that are related to reading proficiency.
- Reading Improvement and Monitoring Plan (RIMP) Requirements
High-dosage tutoring opportunities must be given to all K-4 students with RIMPs. That tutoring has to include additional instruction time, either three days a week or at least 50 hours over 36 weeks. In addition, intervention services have to be aligned with the science of reading and must continue until the student is reading proficiently at their current grade level.
- Reading Intervention Requirements for EdChoice Scholarship and Cleveland Scholarship Students
For the 2023-2024 school year, chartered nonpublic schools now have to provide high-dosage tutoring opportunities and intervention services to EdChoice Scholarship students and Cleveland Scholarship students to align with existing public-school requirements.
Munetrix: Your Reading Compliance Partner
Compliance with Ohio's evolving Third Grade Reading Guarantee guidelines can be complex for school districts. That’s where Munetrix comes into play – to personally support you in navigating these changes.
- Data Analysis: Munetrix provides comprehensive data analytics and reporting tools that allow school districts to track and analyze student performance data. This empowers you to ensure that schools meet promotion scores and reading proficiency requirements.
- Resource Allocation: Munetrix can help districts allocate resources by identifying areas where additional support and intervention may be needed. This is especially important for districts to meet the new high-dosage tutoring requirements and ensure that children receive the support they need.
- Customized Solutions: Munetrix offers customizable solutions tailored to the unique needs of each district. This flexibility allows districts to adapt to changing guidelines and address specific challenges they may face on the path to ensuring student success.
- Monitoring and Reporting: Munetrix provides ongoing monitoring and reporting capabilities, helping districts stay on top of compliance requirements and demonstrate their commitment to student achievement.
At Munetrix, we know that Ohio's Third Grade Reading Guarantee is not just a policy; it's a promise to students for a brighter future. With the introduction of new guidelines for the 2023-2024 school year and beyond, compliance is more important than ever. Together with Munetrix, we can navigate these changes and continue to prioritize student success in their educational journey.
Built by Educators & Data Scientists
Munetrix is more than just a data analysis platform—it's a tool built by educators and data scientists who understand the nuances of education. Our platform is designed to provide actionable intelligence, transforming your raw data into practical insights that give you a holistic view of your school's well-being and its performance in comparison to other schools in your district and beyond. If you'd like to learn more about how we can help your school succeed, contact us to schedule a personalized demo.